Today is International Day of the Midwife and I am feeling deeply grateful for homebirth and midwives.
I cannot imagine a better setting for birth than in your own home, where you can create the peaceful environment that you want.
Before the birth, our midwife, Anita, asked if we would like the midwives in attendance to take pictures during the birth. I said yes. They took so many beautiful pictures that we will always treasure. What a gift to look through them, in awe of the whole experience.
Jeff's constant support and love, always by my side.
Deep "in the zone" in the birthing tub.
I was surprised when I saw this picture where I was smiling at the camera during labor.
We were feeling so much in that moment.
Seeing the pictures of Bracken's eyes as he was first entering the world was powerful. Seeing Jeff's hands catching him and the way Bracken looked up at Jeff and deep into his eyes, was so touching. When Bracken was first born, he looked like a little Native American papoose to me because his hair and skin were so dark. Seeing these photos reminded me of things I had forgotten about the birth. It reminded me of singing chants in the garden that our friend had taught me and how much I loved singing during labor.
Many songs I made up, but here are a few I was taught:
Many songs I made up, but here are a few I was taught:
I am opening up
In sweet surrender
To the luminous love-light of the One
I am opeeeeniiiing
I am o-o-peeenniiiing
I am opening up
In sweet surrender
To the luminous love-light of the One
and
The river is flowing
flowing and growing
The river is flowing
down to the sea
Mother, carry me
Your child I will always be
Sister, carry me
down to the sea
(This last one I also changed the lyrics into a goat milking song one summer, which was fun to sing while milking.)
~
On this day and every day, thank you to midwives everywhere!
And thank you to our midwives- Anita, Janelle and Heather (who were at the birth) and Carla (who was not able to make it.) Being surrounded by your love and care was a gift- throughout the pregnancy, during the birth, and after. I will always be grateful, bless you all.
And thank you to our midwives- Anita, Janelle and Heather (who were at the birth) and Carla (who was not able to make it.) Being surrounded by your love and care was a gift- throughout the pregnancy, during the birth, and after. I will always be grateful, bless you all.
To anyone in the local area who is looking for a midwife (or will be at some point),
I highly recommend Sacred Waters Birthing Center , where we received heart-based, intuitive care.
I highly recommend Sacred Waters Birthing Center , where we received heart-based, intuitive care.
~
Looking back on Bracken's birth, one thing is for sure- I will never look at that couch the same way again!

7 comments:
Such beautiful photos, thank you for sharing Taryn.
Much Love
Don't you love it when you get to experience a flood of memories all over again. Thanks for sharing the birth with us. I love the first photo.
Thanks both of you.
Taryn, I have to tell you I read your birth story a month or two ago and was so inspired by it! I actually work as a labor & delivery nurse (along with nicu) and get so frustrated by women that do not educate themselves and trust in their body! I know it's funny hearing that from a nurse that works in a hospital - my dream is to someday work as a midwife or in a free standing birth center. However first I need to experience it myself.. :)
Hi April!
I am so glad you were inspired by our birth story. There are some amazing local midwives that I would love to introduce you to sometime!
I feel you'll be experiencing it yourself before you know it! :)
Thank you so much for originally sharing your beautiful at home birth story, and now letting us see such inspiring photos of the event. We are planning a home birth for our first child in July, and are very much looking forward to being here at home, in our ultimate comfort zone. Thanks for the inspiration! A lovely family!
April- I wrote you a long reply the other day and now I don't see my comment?
Rachel- I'm so excited for you! I'm going to pop over to your blog and write more.
Post a Comment